The original schoolhouse in Ballinagar was located in the grounds of the local church.
The present school was built in 1949. It was a two teacher school. The Principal’s residence, owned by the parish, was located directly opposite the school. It is a two storey building and has since moved into private ownership.
In 1992 the school was refurbished to include a new classroom and two ancillary rooms. Since then the enrolment has increased significantly in line with the housing developments in the village. Staffing has increased and is presently at ten teachers. The necessary temporary accommodation has been provided accordingly.
A new school was constructed on a site adjacent to this school and was officially opened on the 7th June 2013.